Kina Hora

Kina Hora

Posted on August 5, 2014by chefnyack
I woke this morning noting that today was Friday the 13th. I thought about all the superstitions out there. Superstitions are not based on reason or knowledge. Some find these old folk beliefs as being irrational. Some refer to them as old wives’ tales. The belief of practicing certain rituals will bring good luck, ward off the evil eye or even prevent death.
Some will give you bad luck like walking under a ladder, a black cat crossing your path, walking onto a crack on the sidewalk, opening an umbrella inside, and breaking a mirror!
Some are done to prevent bad things from happening like throwing salt over your shoulder after a spill, knocking on wood, keeping a rabbit foot in your pocket, and hanging a horseshoe over a doorway.
I used to believe that these ritual actions were silly and ridiculous. But then I converted to Judaism, and find that not a day passes that I am not performing some act or belief to keep my life safer.
In our household, we observe others to prevent “kina hora”. When we first moved in our house we were given bread & salt that was put into a bag and tucked away. We never put a hat on the bed! When writing the name of our creator, never spell out G-d. And it is not uncommon to see any member of my family spit three times into their fingers saying poo, poo, poo after saying something we don’t want to curse. The car is running well now-poo,poo,poo. I haven’t had an ear ache all year-poo,poo,poo.
My mom is doing well-poo,poo,poo.

Do I actually believe that by doing certain actions that hold no rational explanation will have effects on outcome? I’m not quite sure, but it’s working so far…..poo,poo,poo!

No comments:

Post a Comment

See Saw of Life

seesaw of life   Balancing life is truly a challenge. Finding the exact spot on the seesaw of life that enables you to stay balanced in ...