Some Sour Patch & that Pistol Too

Some Sour Patch and that Pistol Too!


There is something very tranquil about the state of Maine. It is a very unique state where you can be on the rocky coast of the ocean then in the clouds high in the mountains in the matter of a short 10 minute drive from one another. The state is filled with some of the friendliest down to earth people I have ever met. I try to get up north as often as I can. I call it a mental break from the crazy fast pace life I live here in New York.
During my most recent trip, my wife and I went to the Belgrade Lake area to visit our daughters at sleep-away camp. We found ourselves arriving too early for visiting time. So we decided to find somewhere to not only fill some time but fill our hunger as well. We stopped at a cute little country deli to get a cheese sandwich. While waiting for our sandwich to be done, the strangest thing caught my eye. Next to the bags of Cape Cod chips, above the Razzles & lollipops, was a large glass wall shelf of various guns, pistols and shot guns. I had to do a double take, here at the corner deli?
So, intrigued, I had to inquire with the girl behind the counter.
“Along with my cheese sandwich and my sour patch kids, can I buy that hand gun in
that case?”
“Sure, which one?” she asked.
“Wait a second, don’t I need a license?”
“No, we will do a file check on you. The owner can do it for you.”

So, let me get this straight. If I have no previous criminal record, it is clear for me to purchase a pistol with amo from the local deli. That seems frightening to me. I mean, what if someone was so angry and pushed to the limit needing to take his/her anger out. They can walk down to the corner sandwich shop and buy a gun. What if that murder that they may be committing IS their first crime. I guess if they commit that crime, they can at least have a delicious sandwich and some sour patch kids while doing it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

See Saw of Life

seesaw of life   Balancing life is truly a challenge. Finding the exact spot on the seesaw of life that enables you to stay balanced in ...